Washington County Sheriff - FAQ's - Jail

Part 1 answers questions about bond, transfers, and good behavior are answered. Part 2 answers Jail property, phone calls and visitation. Part 3 answers Medical, Clergy, Location, Court Time and Hours questions.

Part 1. - Bonds, Good Behavior and Transfers


Q. How can I post bond for an inmate?
Circuit Court Bonds - During business hours, cash or wire transfers are the only accepted forms of payment in the clerk of courts office for posting bond. for your protection, wire transfer are highly recommended for payments over $5,000. If you have questions regarding wire transfers, ask for the accounting supervisor at (262)335-4300. The Clerk of Courts is located at 432 E. Washington St. West Bend, WI 53095.
Municipal Bonds - Municpal bond can be paid at the jail at any time. There is a $25.00 booking fee for sentenced inmates and a $25.00 warrant fee on all municipal warrants. The jail will only accept cash or credit/debit cards. No personal checks are accepted. Posting bond for Municipal Warrants can also be made Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mid-Moraine Municipal Court is located at 432 E. Washington St., West Bend, WI 53095. Their phone number is: (262)334-5700. Bond may be posted by cash, check or money order payable to Mid-Moraine Municipal Court.
Posting bond at the Jail during non-business hours: Bond may be posted in the front lobby of the jail located at 500 N. Schmidt Road, West Bend, during non-business hours. Cash or credit card will be accepted for posting bond/cash bail for Washington County bonds, Municipal bonds and out of county warrants. No personal checks are accepted.
Credit Cards: Government Payment Service, Inc. (GPS) provides the ability to use a credit card for posting bond/bail. A non-refundable transaction fee is added to all transactions. VISA, MASTER CARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS, DINERS CLUB and DISCOVER cards are accepted. Anyone may use this method of payment as lon as they have an accepted credit card and provide proper identification, such as a valid driver's license or photo ID card. Credit card transaction must be done in person.
Q. Can a county inmate be released early on good behavior?
A. If the inmate was sentenced as a condition of prob ation or is serving a sentence under the Municipal Court, they will receive no good time unless authorized by the Court.
If the person was sentenced to the County Jail and not placed in Jail as a condition of their probation, they may earn up to 1/4 good time.
Q. When someone is picked up on a body warrant in another county
     but the body warrant is for Washington County, how long does it
     take to transfer that person to the Washington County Jail?
A. Each transfer is handled on a case-by-case basis and for safety reasons. If someone is in custody in another facility for a Washington County warrant only, transportation will be arranged in a timely manner. However, if the person has a Washington County warrant and charges in the other county or municipality, then transfer will be made once the person has satisfied the other municipality's hold and is made available to our department. Transfer dates and times are not released to the public, including family members for security reasons.

Back to Top

Part 2. - Bonds, Good Behavior and Transfers


Q. What can I bring an inmate?
A. Money can be put on an inmate's account using the KIOSK in the front lobby of the jail. Enter the inmate's name and date of birth. If you are paying with a credit card there is a limit of $100 and a fee of $4.95 per transaction. You may not enter more than $200 per week using a credit card. If you are paying with cash there is a $2.75 fee for one transaction and there is no limit on how much cash can be placed on the account.
Inmates can also receive puzzles and the following board games: Monopoly, Risk, Trivial Pursuit, Clue, Sorry, Scrabble with dictionary, Chess/checkers-cardboard board only, Uno - card version only. Electronic versions of these games are not allowed. Certain special editions will not be allowed. Please purchase original versions if unsure.
Q. What about books and magazines?
A. You may receive magazines or newspapers by subscription. You may only receive 3 periodicals per month. (Daily newspapers would be considered 1 periodical for a month.) HARD COVERED BOOKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Soft covered (paperback) books may be obtained directly from the publisher or a Bookstore via U.S. Mail only. Any periodicals exploiting nudity, criminal activity, tattooing or offensive sexual contact will be placed in the inmate’s property until released from custody.
Q. Can I pick up property from an inmate?
A. Yes. the inmate must fill out a Property Release form with the receiver's name and an itemized list of what is to be released. An inmate must leave a full set of clothing in his property at all times until it is deterined the inmate is leaving for prison and the clothing can be released.
Q. Can inmates make and receive phone calls?
A. Inmates must turn in an ICS Calling Minutes form to the accountant with the amount of money to be placed on their phone account. There is a maximum of $50.00. .
Q. How can I find out if someone is in jail?
A. You can call the Jail at (262)335-4427 to inquire if someone is in Jail. this is also when you can inquire about bail and posting bond.
Q. When are visiting hours?
Straight Time Inmates: 
Tuesday      - Inmates last name A-K     7:00pm to 9:00pm
Thursday.    - Inmates last name L-Z      7:00pm to 9:00pm
Saturday     - Inmates last name A-K     1:30pm to 3:00pm
Saturday     - Inmates last name L-Z      3:00pm to 4:30pm

Huber Inmates: 
Wednesday  - All inmates      7:00pm to 9:00pm
Sunday        - All inmates      2:00pm to 5:00pm
All adult inmates are allowed one twenty-five minute visit per day – total of two visits per week for Straight Time and one visit per week for Huber inmates
Visitors will be required to call the Jail to schedule a visitation time (262-306-2263). Visitors will be restricted to scheduling a visitation on the calendar day prior to the day they are requesting to visit. For example: If you are allowed visiting on a Tuesday, anyone requesting to visity you will be required to schedule the visit on Monday. 
All inmates will also be issued a visitor list form, which they will be required to complete and submit to the Jail Staff for approval. Inmates will only be allowed visitation from those people who are named on their visitor list. Visitor lists will be restricted to no more than 8 people. 


Back to Top

Part 3. - Medical, Clergy, Location, Court Time, Hours

Q. Do Inmates receive Medical Attention?
A. Yes. We have onsite medical services. There are co-payments for medical fees. Fees will bek dkucted from the inmate's individual commissary funds at the time medical services are requested and provided. If an inmate has any type of medical insurance available, it is the inmate's responsibility to make the Jail Nurse aware of the insurance and all respective insurance policy numbers.
Mental Health services and evaluations are provided by the Washington County Mental Health Center. If you need to speak with a crisis worker, please notify the Jail staff and we will contact them for you. Medical care will not be refused to any inmate based on his/her ability to pay. Inmates under the Huber Law are responsible for all medical costs incurred while in custody.
Q. Can my Clergy visit me in Jail?
A. Yes. Personal visits by bona fide ministers, priests, etc. within the open hours defined under Jail Hours will be permitted. Clergy must be on approved list. All visits will be no-contact visits. Prior approval must bemade for contact visits. Requests for a contact visit must be made in writing prior to the day of your visit. The Jail Chaplain provides religious counseling and guidance on Monday and Thursday afternoons. If you need to pseak to the Chaplain, please make a request on the Inmate Request Form. Additional Bible studies are currently available.
Q. Where should I report?
A. Washington Co Jail, 500 N Schmidt Rd, West Bend, WI 53095 Located behind the Court House enter through the RED DOORS.
Failure to report on the court ordered date will result in a warrant for your arrest. You may jeopardize your Huber privileges as a result.
Do not report under the influence of alcohol or drugs!!! You will be tested prior to being allowed to work. If you test positive you will be subject of disciplinary action and you may be held in from work, lose good time and/or your Huber could be revoked.
Q. What time is court?
A. The Jail does not receive a time from the courts when an inmate with new charges or on a warrant will have to appear. As soon as we receive a call from our clerks the inmate is taken to court. The Washington County courts are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Inmates being held in the Jail on a cash bond will most likely have a scheduled court date. This information can be found on line at: http://wcca.wicourts.gov/index.xsl for all circuit court cases.
Q. What are the Jail hours?
A. Jail hours are defined as 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. The Jail will be closed during the following hours:
11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
10:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.


Back to Top

Back to FAQ main page