CHAPTER 5 - Jail Administration
Section 5.10 MAINTENANCE AND BOARD FOR COUNTY JAIL PRISONERS
- 5.10 (RR 02-17) MAINTENANCE AND BOARD FOR COUNTY JAIL PRISONERS.
- (1) Authority and Intent. Pursuant to the authority provided by §§302.372, 302.38, 302.381, 302.388, 302.425, 302.43, 303.08 and 303.19, Wis. Stats., it is the intent of these provisions that incarcerated persons be held responsible for paying the cost of incarceration and any related expenses, to the extent permitted by law.
- (2) (AM 03-32)(AM 04-19)(AM 07-21)(AM 09-11)(AM 10-15) Huber Law Prisoners. (a) Every prisoner who is sentenced to the Washington County Jail under the provisions of §303.08(4), Wis. Stats., (Huber Law) and is gainfully employed, shall be liable to Washington County for per capita maintenance and board costs at the rate of $20 per day and a one-time processing fee of $25 and shall reimburse the County for the same in accordance with the law.
(b) Inmates granted release for purposes of conducting the self-employed occupation of housekeeping or attending the needs of a person's family shall be established at the rate of $20 per day and a one-time processing fee of $25 and shall reimburse the County for the same in accordance with the law.
(c) Inmates granted release to pursue educational studies, other than required high school attendance, shall be established at the rate of $20 per day and a one-time processing fee of $25 and shall reimburse the County for the same in accordance with the law.
(d) Inmates are subject to random drug screening during incarceration and shall be charged $25 for each positive result.
(e) Non-working inmates granted Huber privileges for which the fees set forth at (a), (b), (c) or (d) above are not applicable shall be charged $5.00 per day.
- (3)(AM 04-19)(AM 07-21)(AM 09-11) Electronic (Home) Monitoring. Inmates placed in the home monitoring program under §302.425, Wis. Stats., shall be established at a rate of $26 per day plus an additional $5 per day if inmate is placed on the "Mims" Program and a one-time processing fee of $25 and shall reimburse the County for same in accordance with the law. The Sheriff may require prepayment of the expenses set forth herein as a requirement for participation in this program.
- (4) Medical Expenses. Inmates shall be responsible for the actual costs of medical expenses incurred by Washington County as set forth in §302.38, Wis. Stats., and the County may seek reimbursement for same in accordance with the law. The Sheriff may establish a system of co-payments for the services of the Jail Nurse and Jail Doctor.
- (5) Prisoner Reimbursement. (a) Financial Status Form. Every person confined to the Washington County Jail shall complete a financial disclosure form containing the information set forth in §302.372(2)(b), Wis. Stats.
(b) Action for Reimbursement. Within 12 months after the release of a prisoner from jail, Washington County may commence an action in Circuit Court to recover the expenses under this ordinance plus the costs to investigate the financial status of the prisoner and the expenses of collection not otherwise recovered or be barred as permitted by §302.372(6), Wis. Stats.
- (6) Institutional Accounts. The Sheriff may charge a prisoner for the expenses set forth above, while he/she is a prisoner; plus the costs to investigate the financial status of the prisoner and the expenses of collection.
(a) If the Sheriff maintains an institutional account for a prisoner's use for payment of items from canteen, vending, or similar services, the Sheriff may make deductions from the account to pay for the expenses set forth above. If the prisoner has a balance due for expenses under this ordinance, from prior incarcerations, any institutional account created as part of a subsequent incarceration may be used to recover the sums due from the prior incarceration.
(b) If the Sheriff maintains an account of a Huber prisoner pursuant to §303.08(3), Wis. Stats., the Sheriff may make deductions from the account to pay for the expenses set forth in this ordinance subject to the limitations of §303.08(5), Wis. Stats.
- (7) Prisoner Cooperation. A prisoner in a jail shall cooperate with the County in seeking reimbursement under this section for expenses incurred by the County. A prisoner who intentionally refuses to cooperate may not earn good time credit under §302.43, Wis. Stats., or diminution of sentence under §303.19(3), Wis. Stats.
- (8) No Duplication of Expenses. Washington County shall not recover the same expenses twice.
Room and Board for Hubers in Washington County Jail will be set by Ordinance and will be a per-day or per-week fee. You will be required to bring $250.00 when you report in and a weekly fee every Friday after that. You will be required to pay a weekly fee whether you work one day or six days. If you have a sentence of less than seven days, you will be required to pay the amount in full when you report in.
Huber Board will be collected for work, school, and childcare. Your board has to be turned into the Huber Accountant no later than 9:00PM on Friday. If the board is not in, you will be held in until Monday morning at 8:00AM when the Huber Accountant reports to work.
You may be asked to sign a wage assignment as a way to collect your Huber fees. Your board has to be turned into the Humber Accountant no later than 9:00 p.m. on Saturday. If the board is not in, you will be held in until Monday morning at 8:00 a.m. when the Huber Accountant reports to work.
You may be asked to sign a wage assignment as a way to collect your Huber fees. Failure to comply with this may hinder your release for employment. You will be requried to report with your two most recent pay stubs or verification of wages earned and turn in your original pay stub every payday if not on wage assignment.
You will be required to forfeit one weeks Huber board if you are held in for any violation of the Jail rules or a hold is placed on you by another agency. We do not accept personal checks or credit cards for Huber board or commissary.
NOTE: Non-working inmates granted Huber privileges for which the fees set forth in sections (a), (b), (c) or (d) above are not applicable shall be charged $5.00 per day.
All Huber inmates will be required to stay in on the holiday. Any exceptions will be with the Sergeant’s approval.
Back To Top
Back to Main Jail Page
Google Translator Use: The Washington County Sheriff’s website has made reasonable efforts to provide an accurate translation. However, no automated or computerized translation is perfect and is not intended to replace human or traditional translation methods. The official text is the English version of Washington County Sheriff’s website. If any questions arise concerning the accuracy of the information presented by the translated version of the website, please refer to the English edition of the website, which is the official version.