This job description gives you some insight into the many duties and responsibilities of a Deputy Sheriff with the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.
We are not currently hiring for the position of Deputy Sheriff at this time. Check with the County's Human Resources Department for more information.
Under the supervision of any directly assigned superior or any other superior officer of the Department; to perform any assignment directed to him/her, to enforce federal and State laws, and county ordinances, obey the rules and regulations of the Department and perform related work as required.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all‑inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Enforces Federal and State laws (including Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Code) and, County ordinances.
- Performs police patrol tours of duty, protecting persons and property, and preventing crime.
- Investigates all complaints assigned to him/her.
- Investigates accidents, including taking photographs, collecting and preserving evidence, providing emergency first aid whenever necessary.
- Keeps records and writes/dictates complete, accurate and concise reports.
- Effectively utilizes a Mobile Data Terminal for informational and investigative purposes.
- Serves civil process as directed.
- Serves as courthouse security officer.
- Directs traffic and performs law enforcement duties at special events.
- Attends court whenever necessary as witness or otherwise.
- Attends schools and in-services as directed, successfully attaining passing grades.
- Operates/drives a squad car, snowmobile, or ATV as required.
- Complies with all Department Standard Operating Procedures, official orders, and directives.
- Successfully meets or exceeds the minimum standard or performance levels of those S.O.P.’s or directives that require periodic testing or qualifying. Examples: Maintain a 70% score on the Department handgun and shotgun courses, successfully complete and maintain current certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation sponsored by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross, successfully complete and maintain current certification in the use of the Intoximeter EC./IR.
- Performs such other duties as may be required.
To view open positions within the Washington County Sheriff’s Office and throughout the County, please view all possible positions at the Washington County Human Resource Department Website Page
Back To Top
Back to Employment Page